DRYWALL

The drywall of the residence appeared 'Wavy, and not straight' when Pulte was advised of this problem we were advised the drywall on the lids (Ceilings) of some rooms would need to be replaced, some rooms would be floated, and re-textured. Upon removal of the drywall on several ceilings (Master bedroom, Upstairs loft, NorthWest Bedroom, Southwest Bedroom) The framing / structural members were exposed. Upon viewing the way the framing was completed we found other MAJOR issues, that were the underlying cause of the 'Wavy' drywall. The structure of the house was not correct, causing the problems. (Which changed the promised repair time from 14 days to almost 3 months). Pulte NEVER offered any 'Alternative' Living arrangement while the re-construction was being completed, so we were living in the home the whole time, enduring dust, floating fiberglass fibers released when the ceiling insulation was released by the removal of the ceiling drywall. **Note** Aside from the mess, the sub-contracor removed the ceiling light fixtures, and the smoke detectors from the home (Creating an issue of safety to the occupants, My Family), the drywall contractor stated he did not have a license to reinstall the fixtures, and Pulte would have to have an electrician reinstall the fixtures and smoke detectors. They stated it would take 3-4 days to get an electrician to do the work, in frustration I have a working knowledge of electrcity, I reinstalled them my self (GOOD THING, as the ORIGINAL electrician had NOT ground ANY fixtures, as they are in plastic boxes, it was not possible the box could be grounded either).

PLUMBING

March 6, 2006, Pulte calls a Sub-division meeting, inviting all people who live in our subdivision to attend, there will be refreshment served.

Finding out the meeting was to advise of a 'Code Violation' in the plumbing system. A plumber had 'Discovered' a deficiency in the drain system, and numerous homes were effected. The problem was optional bathrooms, if you home has 4 toilets, it should have a 4' drain line to meet code, but it was found that most only had 3' lines, and they would be checking all the homes that meet this criteria. Only 1 home was found to actually meet the code, 35+ other homes did not. Pulte proposed a 'Fix' which included a second 3' line from a toilet that was closest to an exterior wall ( Some were powder baths, some were Master baths depending on the home floorplan). The repairs to this home were to the master bath, which meant the toilet was to be removed, jack hammer a hole in the monolithic slab, dig a trench down the side of the home, tear out a large section of the driveway, as well as about 40% of the landscaping, dig a trench and install a second drain line. 4 days is what was promised, took over 6.

Cleanup of this was only partially completed by the Pulte hired cleanup crew, when asked to complete the cleanup the subcontractor stated they had 'Specific instruction to ONLY clean the affected Rooms (My Master bath), although the contractor had tracked dirt, dust into 2/3rds of the lower floor of the home, they would not clean any additional. Including the garage floor, exterior walls (Due to the concrete cutting saw spewing dirty water over the entire front of the home and garage doors, as well as the concrete contractor splattering additional over the same. My family and I spent 3-4 days cleaning, pressure washing, dusting, and vacuuming the home.

HAVC

Insufficient Furnace Upstairs

Insufficient Evaporator Coils (Both Upstairs As Well As Downstairs)

Insufficient Ductwork (Including Return Air Ducts)

Manual Left In Firebox, Causing A Fire (Luckily Enough I Realized The Smell Of Burning Paper Has A Different Smell Than A New Furnace, I Extinguished Before It Totally Burned Down The Home), Fire Destroyed All Internal Wiring Of Furnace.

** All Items Listed Above Were Presented To Pulte In A Formal Request In June Of 2005, After 15+ Trips Of Pultes Sub-Contractor All Items Listed Above Were Replaced (Piece By Piece) Final Correction Made To Equal Formal Request December 2006 (Approximately 18 Months Of Trial And Error To Get To Something I Made Specific Request For in June 2005).

*Pulte Had An “Independent Company Analyze My Home, I Made A Formal Request To Receive A Copy Of This Report, Un-Edited, And That Pulte Would Follow The Recommendations Of This Report To The 'Letter' Prior To allowing Pulte to do any further testing. Pulte representative agreed to provide a copy of this report, AND to follow the recommendations of the report (Verbal agreement, and a handshake). I have yet to receive a copy of this report, even after they replied to a Better Business Bureau complaint I made, in their response they stated We are engaging with an expert company as a third party inspector to perform an analysis and render a report. This proceess will be solidified within the next two weeks and any information will be communicated to the customer. This text was copy and pasted from that response VERBATUM.

STRUCTURAL & FRAMING

Major issues with the framing of the home, it was exposed when the drywall was torn out. Wide gaps in members, misaligned trusses, improperly installed trusses and floor joists. Pulte used a bandaid approach to fix the problems, straightened what HAD to be straightened, then just 'Shimmed' the other to get the drywall straight..

WINDOWS

This is an issue which is still in 'Discussion'.

The facts:

Pulte has admitted the subcontractor who installed the windows DID NOT follow the manufacturer's recommendations in the installation of the windows (Another issue that involves 30+ homes in this subdivision).

Pulte has agreed to replace all operable (which means the window can be opened to allow airflow) windows.

At issue it the way in which Pulte proposes the replacement of them.

I have proposed a more cost effective repair to the home which has NO potential for problems with the stucco. Is more time friendly, and has no negative connotations.

Pulte's Proposed repairs 4 WEEKS, MAJOR DESTRUCTION to the Stucco System, and an additional potential for weatherability problems, as well as potential for water intrusion. And in my humble opinion there are still questions of whether the repairs meet both manufacturer's recommendations, AND local codes.

My proposed repair, 2-1/2 to 3 Days of construction, very small amount (IF ANY) stucco repair, lowered potential for weather / water intrusion. Cost Equal or LESS than Pulte's Repair.

STUCCO

**CAUSE** Original window installer did not follow manufacturer recommendations for installation of the windows.

The stucco is an issue that is still in the discussion stage. There are no major defects in the stucco (YET), but Pulte's proposed method of repair has a potential for problems (As admitted by a Pulte Rep). The representative from Pulte has made statements 'It's our (Pulte's) problem, we own it.' '...I understand what you are saying because there is a dry joint there, there is a potential for cracks, and we can't stop that, there no way in the world to stop that.' AND THE BIGGIE 'I can't guarantee your home is gonna be a hundred percent.'

In conclusion Pulte uses Band-Aid Tatics to repair problems. The first 2 years of our living in the home was NOT an enjoyable experience. Floorplan is GREAT, the 'Curb Appeal' is Great. The underlying home Questionable at best.

I have had numerous independent contractors to my home for their opinon, all have the same basic statement 'These houses were built by the 'Lowest Bidder.''

Review about: Pulte Homes House Construction.

Comments

Has anyone had concerns with the Volterra subdivision homes with Pulte? I just placed a lot deposit and signed many papers today..Quite concerned after reading the compliants.

Has anyone heard of ANY complaints with homes being built at the Del Webb Alegria in Bernalillo NM? I was interested in buying there but after hearing of all the online complaints about the shoddy-built homes that Pulte builds, I am now VERY concerned that Pulte is also building lousy homes at Alegria.

I would love to hear from anyone---especially Alegria residents---about how their homes are built and if they have ANY complaints. Thanks for any help!

to DOUG #1497977

I can't speak about your particular division, but we have a home in Montecito Vistas and the warranty department has been excellent. No matter what new home or what builder you get there will be issues.

It isn't about a good or bad builder per se, but they can't watch every sub every minute of the day. I have built several. But, I have found them to be excellent at solving problems quickly. I love my warranty guy.

He is no nonsense and holds the subs to excellent service and a great product. I have had fewer problems with Pulte than any builder I have ever worked with so far.

to DOUG #1497990

I can't speak to your subdivision, but I have talked to people in two other areas besides mine and we all have the same response. Pulte has been responsive and responsible.

There is no better warranty I know of in the Albuquerque area. My warranty guy is knowledgeable, responsive and direct. He gets things done quickly and is in the neighborhood once a week to get things repaired. I have never seen that kind of turn around....ever!

I can't tell you what to do, but my experience has been excellent.I have built with other builders over the past 30 years and they are the best builder I have dealt with bar none.It isn't whether or not the house is good...I believe it to be a great product. They all use subcontractors and they sometimes take shortcuts that are unknown to the builder, or make unintentional mistakes. But, I have found Pulte willing to tackle any warranty issue with integrity and they are respectful to homeowners.Unless you are willing to do a custom build you will have things that need to be fixed, so expect it. The builders can't watch their subcontractors 24/7.

In some areas you can buy extended warranties with them, which I have never seen anywhere else.No matter who the builder is there can be unexpected disasters caused by rains, problems that aren't discovered soon enough and even ground water. Get good warranties and don't skimp on homeowners insurance. When they tell you how to build out your yard it is your responsibility to listen to their guidance or you void a warranty. Ask to see the engineer reports on the ground and see if they had to make any alterations....do your homework.If you see a complaint online, talk to Pulte about it and get the full story.

Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances. They build and sell houses, and it is our responsibility as homeowners to do our part as well. If you let a problem get to disaster stage before you ask for help, you will have some responsibility as well. If you are offered extended warranties and don't take advantage of them, you might have to fix it yourself...outside the warranty time frame.We had a garage door by another builder out-of-state fail at the warranty mark.

If I had done a good walk around the house I might have found it, or gotten an inspector before the end of the warranty to look at the house. Some of those things you need to take responsibility yourself. I realized I could have saved myself some money if I had done my part. Houses are used and they sometimes have issues after warranty periods.

There is no silver bullet when picking a home builder.

Just do you homework. Walk the neighborhood and ask how they like their home.